The first few days in particular, nothing around me was really sinking in. Everything just looked like the movies or documentaries about Africa that I've seen. It's almost as if I couldn't believe that everything was real - and really how I had pictured and imagined it to be. But it's almost as if I haven't been able to connect the head knowledge I have stored up about (the statistics, etc.) with the people around me. When my friend Lori (from TU!) and I were talking to some of the guys yesterday, we kept being surprised to find out they've never been out of this region, or don't even know about other African nations. One of my friends Stevie really liked my necklace. He's 25 and has been to school and knows English really well, so naturally I assumed that when I told him it was from Ireland, I thought he would be excited. But he's never heard of Ireland.
Lori and I have made 3 faithful friends - Stevie, Abdul , and Abebo - even though they're 14,15, and 25, they look sooo much younger. They're ministry kids so they know Jesus - you can SEE the Spirit radiating from them! They stand out so much in the midst of the village kids. They've been singing Happy Bday in Portuguese to me all day and yesterday we all went to the beach and they keep giving us Portuguese lessons! I'm sooo desperate to learn this language. They walked us in to town and helped Lori and I out a lot with translations, keeping me from walking in front of motorcycles/bikes (haha - Erin Tobias! SEE there is someone to take your place :) I'm enjoying their friendship and all they are teaching us (esp. Port. worship songs) and they are fun to be around because they are so in love with Jesus, but at the same time, because of the language barrier, I'm still not exactly sure where they sleep at night (some only eat meals at the orphanage...where they get their shoes, etc. I did find out from Abdul today that his mom kicked him and his sister out of the house when he told her he asked Jesus in his heart. But he told me not to worry about his mom because Jesus will take care of her and him and his brothers and sisters because he prays to Jesus. He seems so confident that his mother will come to know the Lord. And I will pray for his mom too! The orphanage teaches the kids not to beg from us Americans or others, but to ask JESUS - pray to Jesus they say and He will provide all their needs.
Every morning Lori and get up at 5 (the rooster actually wakes me up!!! haha- the village is alive and kickin' at sunrise) and go to the prayer tent. I was telling Jesus the other day...eating dinner with the kids can be so overwhelming. They bring in kids from the village that DO beg, and we are taught to be bold with them, to ask to be friends first, because we don't want them to remember us or become dependent upon us but on the Lord. But it's so hard when they're all talking about you in a different language....and all around you. I told Jesus I think the phrase "like a sheep among wolves" has a new meaning to me. That's how I feel sometimes. Very overwhelmed. I want wisdom, and I want to know Portuguese very badly. But at the same time, today He was reminding me about Jn. 15. He SAID if I ABIDE IN HIM I will bear MUCH FRUIT....not "If I learn to speak Portuguese....I will bear much fruit." Not...."If I become cool and can learn African lingo....I will bear much fruit." NO - if I abide in Him! And as much as I want to learn those things, I've always clung to the fact that He says I can love Taylor, I can love my friends, I can love my family and church, the most by just making sure I am sooo connected to Him!!! Because my connectedness to Him is what will bless other people. Like Jn. 1 when John the Baptist said I AM NOT the Christ....I know in my own strength I can't be anyone's savior or helper...but I have to stay connected to the vine. And He says that His Holy Spirit is enough to teach me all things....ALL things....ALL things.... so I believe it. Please pray for me not to lose that perspective and to spend MOST / ALL of my effort staying connected to Him! Because only HE is able to love and bless the people I am around that I want to bless so much!!!
So some prayer requests 'til next time....
* ABIDING in Christ, that "rivers of living water" & the HOLY SPIRIT will touch people around me!
* Supernatural help in learning Portuguese!!!
* Boldness/ wisdom with kids
Thank you guys for reading! I love you ALL with the love of CHRIST!!!! Please keep these kids in your prayers!
Valerie
10 comments:
Happy Birthday, Daughter Girl!
Love you,
Mom
Happy Birthday, friend!
Sorry I missed you yesterday, but hope you had a great birthday. Glad to read all is well(except the whole luggage thing :P). The Bux gang says hello and we miss you already.
Hi Val Pal. . .
I can't believe you're walking in front of motorcycles! I'm glad that you have found a body guard to yank you back! I willingly pass over my position. . . until you get back! :) Your luggage got lost?! It's a good thing we went through your carryon stuff! I hope that gets to you soon! I loved reading your post. . .I love that Jesus teaches you these things and that your heart is ready and willing to take them in. Love you and praying for you!
heart, erin
Hey V...love you...miss you...Happy Birthday :)
glad to hear you're doing good-its so encouraging!! im on my face for you sister-keep at it!!
love ya
sarah conlin
The dog just ate a kleenex. She seriously has a problem. She sneaks paper and kleenexes when you aren't looking and eats them.
Anyway -- Happy Birthday! I'm glad you are adjusting quickly and diving into relationships. Such a blessing to see you serving there.
Val,
I love you sister! Will you send me an e-mail letting me know when you write on your blog? I miss you so much. I am sitting in a coffee shop in Ft. Myers thinking about you. Miss you much. :-)
By the way, it's jacqueline now...haha
Missed you alot this week...make sure to ask me about the "hand" guy at the hospital... :)
Post a Comment